20.9.14

Sepia Saturday: Hey Sailor

Diving once again into my box of paternal snapshots, with this week's Sepia Saturday prompt in mind...which encompasses sailor suits, among other things. My father might have worn this when playing with his younger sister Margaret and Airedale Mike, "The Sea-Dog," while perched in the "poop-deck" of an elm branch.


I' can't quite make out what the kids are holding...is it paper hearts for Valentine's Day?


Here he's forsaken the "dress whites" for the "swabbie" look.




Before his nautical career my father apparently aimed at being the engineer of a steam train.


Or a young Babe Ruth.
However, he ended up as an English professsor, and whatever his outfit was, you usually couldn't see it.

11 comments:

  1. What a wonderful set of pictures of your father as a little boy in all his different make-believe outfits, & how lucky you are to have them! Thanks for sharing. Also the video. Funny thing . . . after I listened to the one you were featuring, a selection of others popped up. One was "What Shall We Do With A Drunken Sailor" by the Irish Rovers - a tune my daughter has been practicing on her saxophone lately, so of course we had to listen to it! Fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A good match for this weekend's theme. I like the Babe Ruth photo because in that era baseball was the king of sports, but the last photo is a terrific portrait.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the final photo:) Some genius decided to get down low for a perfect angle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A wonderful collection of photos and a great match to the theme.

    I enjoyed this post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can relate to that last photo -- an English teacher is always behind a stack of paper! But my favorite is the baseball uniform -- I'm quite positive I've never seen a child-size uniform from that era.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed this dip into your family albums, the final photo brought a giggle, so true, teachers are always having to face up to mounds of correction - especially teachers of English

    ReplyDelete
  7. As a retired teacher I too found the last picture funny, but there’s something about a sailor (suit) isn’t there? Great pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A sailer, engineer, and baseball player all seem to play in nicely with the last shot. He was adrift in paper. He was trying to keep his engine going surrounded by mountains. And he was out in left field.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I bet there aren't many young boys that dream of becoming an English professor!

    ReplyDelete